Sioux birchbark canoe made and used on Doubles Lake. The canoe was purchased by Earl and Marjorie Kitchen in the spring of 1958 from the Totem Drug Store International in Falls, Minnesota. The business was closing and he and his father had the canoe on display in the store for approximately 65 years. The canoe was made by the Sioux at Minnewaukan Devil's Lake, Sioux Reservation, North Dakota. Harry Orloske acquired from Shirley Graham of the Silvertone Trading Company in November of 1958 for his private Native museum. 16'L, 2'10""W, keel 1'8"
PERIOD: 19th CenturyORIGIN: Great Plains - Sioux, Native American
SIZE: 16'L, 2'10""W, keel 1'8"