Deer Lodge prison (1907-26). This electrical panel with 35 “doors” was located at the security guard’s station. When a door opened, a brass door fell and the guard was notified. He used the intercom to verify. The old Montana prison was an active prison until 1979, when it was moved to a new facility four miles west of town. The first women who were incarcerated in Montana were housed on the third floor of the same building as the men. The need for a separate women’s facility outside the walls soon became apparent. The women were housed in this facility until 1926. The number of women incarcerated in Montana at any one time was usually less than ten. When this building was converted into maximum security, the women were moved to various buildings across the street and later to Warm Springs, where the women are currently being housed. The wood structure next to this building was used as a visiting booth after the women’s prison was converted into a maximum security facility. Inmates were allowed visitor privileges of one hour per week. A great piece of Montana history.
PERIOD: Early 20th CenturyORIGIN: Montana, United States
SIZE: 17" x 31" x 3"