Custom saddle maker made Doctor's saddle bags with inside compartments for bottled medication. Each of the bottles is labeled RH McGinness, White Sulfur Springs, MT. White Sulfur Spring - a town close to Livingston, MT and now only about a mile north of I90. It sprang up by early 1800's and was quite active by mid 19th cty. In the early 1870's the town grew quickly as the gold at Virginia City petered out and miners and speculators moved further west. White Sulfur was to be on the new Railroad. RH McGinness was the first Pharmacist in White Sulfur Springs. Whether these belong to him or to the first doctor in town we're not sure. We researched through the local Historical Society and found an 1880's photo showing the drug store operated by McGinness which was in the rear of the bank. The building is still there today, owned and operated by the Fraternal Order of Masons. The local "Mayn Cemetery Directory" was checked, however, there are no McGinness's buried. Apparently after making his fortune the family moved on. Many of the medicine bottles were unidentifiable, however a few we could read and researched. One being Acid Arsinic and the other Turkish Opium. Rare piece of both medical, western, and Montana history.
PERIOD: Last quarter 19th century
ORIGIN: White Sulfur Springs, Montana
SIZE: Bag 10" x 6 1/2" ; Total length 29"